Close this search box.

Examples of housing options for staff


The Housing Foundation has dormitories in different areas of Copenhagen. In Denmark, dormitories tend to be large buildings organized into hallways/apartments and only students or university staff live there. Tenants typically rent a bedroom and share a kitchen and bathrooms with their flatmates or hallway neighbours. Some dorms also offer private studio rooms with integrated bathrooms and kitchenettes.

Living in a dormitory is a great way to meet and socialize with people from different countries. Facilities vary a great deal from dorm to dorm. For more information about a particular dorm, see our dormitories for staff page.

Single rooms

For one person only. With a single room, you get your own private space, meaning you either have an entire studio apartment to yourself or you have a room of your own in a shared apartment. This does not mean you live in isolation, as dorms often offer common rooms for socializing with friends and neighbours. Also, while some single rooms have a private bathroom and a kitchenette, others require you to share a kitchen and bathroom with other tenants.

Shared rooms (A and B)

With a shared room, you book half of a room that you will share with a roommate of the same gender as you (i.e. there are two beds in the same room without any door between them). A shared room is divided into two halves—the A-half and the B-half, and you can rent one of these. Each roommate books their half individually from the other one, and we make a contract with each occupant. When booking half of a shared room, you are responsible for your part (A or B) of the room and the common area. You are not allowed to use your roommate’s bed when they are away, since you only have a contract and payed for your half of the room.

2- person rooms

A 2-person room is designed for you to live together with another person. This other person must be a very close friend or a partner, due to existing CPR rules. There is only one contract holder, and this contract holder is the only person legally responsible for maintenance, paying rent, etc. Please be aware that you and the second person must both sign a Household Application form in order to live together and be eligible for applying for CPR numbers.

Private Apartments

The Housing Foundation offers a variety of private apartments. When renting these, you get your own apartment with bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, and often also a living room. These are usually located in residential buildings on quiet residential streets. Several private apartments are available for sharing with a partner. Find more information about private apartments here.

Please note: Only very few of our accommodations are suitable for children, so make sure to read the descriptions carefully. Housing options appropriate for staff with children will be marked as “Family” in our booking system.

Family Apartments

The Housing Foundation offers limited housing for staff arriving with children. When renting these, you get your own apartment with several bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom, and living room. Find more information about family apartments here.

Please note: It is not possible to stay with children in any of our dormitories or in a shared apartment. Housing options appropriate for staff with children will be marked as “Family” in our booking system.


Shared Apartments

The Housing Foundation offers a variety of shared apartments. With these, you rent a bedroom and share a kitchen, bathroom, and also often a living room with other Housing Foundation tenants. A shared apartment is a good option if you would like to live with your peers but not live in a dormitory.

Find more information about shared apartments here.